Have you ever heard the saying, “You are the company that you keep?” If you have, then you understand the powerful affect that others’ attitudes can have on your own…negative or positive. Conversely, you understand that your actions toward others cause them to act and react in kind. It can be quite a cycle.
The good news is that it’s never too late to change your mindset. You can start today. There’s an adage and old bumper sticker that notes, “Today is the first day of the rest of your life”. Here are seven steps you can take toward developing a positive mindset today…for the rest of your life:
- Alter your vocabulary. The language you use influences the way you think, so eliminate words like “can’t”, “won’t” and “failure.”
- Throw the kindness boomerang. Every day, perform one unselfish act. Remember, your actions – positive or negative – will come back to you.
- Avoid spending time with negative-minded people and chronic complainers. As the saying goes, “Misery loves company.”
- Whenever you can, change the subject to a positive one. Be the one people describe as “always cheerful.”
- Counterbalance each negative piece of news with at least five positive ones. Stay up-to-date with what’s going on in the world, and highlight the good stories in your conversations with others.
- Convert “should-a, could-a, would-a” to “shall, can and will.”
- Create a list of the traits, habits, attitudes and skills that exemplify the ideal you. Then, make every effort to follow those guidelines.
When you’ve read through the steps a few times, write them down and keep them in a place where you will see them regularly – on the refrigerator, on your bathroom mirror, or on your desk at work. To help you stay on track, consider setting a notification on your phone to display one of these steps in the middle of the day.
As soon as you put your new steps into practice, pay close attention to the way others react toward you. You’ll notice that the positive words and actions you put out into the world will come back to you with the same regard, and you’ll find that other positive-minded people gravitate toward your sunny disposition.
Sylvia Henderson is a Charter Member & Community Reporter with the Village Connector Community News. She is also an Interpersonal skills & personal branding expert. She helps people SHOW they’re as great as they say they are. Sylvia hosts a cable TV program focusing on business & professional development called “Think About It!”. See: ThinkAboutIt.TV for air times. Sign up for monthly content and bring Sylvia to your organization at: SpringboardTraining.com
Trackbacks and pingbacks
No trackback or pingback available for this article.